Parental and Grandparental Visa

Parental and Grandparental Visa

Sponsoring a parent or grandparent

You can sponsor your parent or grandparent if you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and if you are 18 years of age or older


You may not be eligible to sponsor your parent or grandparent if you:


Federal Income Table for sponsors of parents and grandparents


The following table applies to residents of all provinces except Quebec. For each of the three consecutive taxation years preceding the date on which the application is submitted to CIC, the sponsor (and co-signer, if applicable) must meet the Minimum Necessary Income, which is based on the Low Income Cut-offs plus 30%

Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship


The Minimum Necessary Income requirement, which you must meet for each of the three years preceding the date of your application, is equal to the Low Income Cut-Offs (LICO) plus 30%.


Note: If you are applying in 2016, you must provide proof of income from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for the taxation years of 2014, 2013 and 2012.

Undertaking length for parents and grandparents sponsorship


Your obligations as a sponsor and as a co-signer, if applicable, begin when your family members included in the sponsorship undertaking enter Canada to remain as permanent residents.

When you sponsor a parent or a grandparent, the undertaking is valid for 20 years, and for all persons included in the sponsorship undertaking.